22 October 2010

Call for Submissions: STAND UP for LGBTQ youth

Post date: 22 October 2010
Deadline: 30 November 2010

If you don't know me, my name is Lindsay Czitron. I'm an 18-year-old queer activist, and like a lot of people, I was deeply affected by the recent string of LGBTQ youth suicides. I'm also a big appreciator of music, and one of the songs that seemed to come at exactly the right time for me was "Stand Up" by Sugarland. It's a song about coming together, letting people know they are loved, standing up for what we believe in, and creating change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpKCSWrjVhA

You can find the lyrics here: http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/sugarland/stand-up-30939.html

So, I had an idea. What if we did a video collaboration to this song? Something along the lines of this: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZJVaOk9pwI).

Who can participate?

LGBTQ youth and our allies. (People of all ages, sexual orientations, and gender identities can submit, although I will try to centre LGBTQ youth voices)

What should I submit?

Anything, really. Make a video that can be used to create a collaborative video. You can speak, write, draw, lip-sync, or anything you feel is appropriate. You can shoot it on a webcam or video camera. You can even make an animation if you want. All I ask is that the videos be in a fairly universally compatible format; WMV and AVI are two that come to mind, although there are others.

Where do I submit my video?

Videos can be emailed to LGBTQcollab@gmail.com

What's the deadline?

I'm going to ask that submissions be emailed to me by the end of November.

What's this song again?

It's called "Stand Up" by Sugarland. It's off their album The Incredible Machine, which was just released. You can find it on iTunes. I'd like to put it on a site like YouSendIt, but my album is from iTunes so it wouldn't be compatible with other MP3 players. (If someone could put an MP3 version on YouSendIt, that would be great.)

More information here.
This blog is no longer updated. Please instead visit Writers For Diversity for new opportunities for women/ LGBT writers and writers of color. Thank you.