Dragons, firebirds, griffons, kirin, unicorns, centaurs, demons, chimaera—these are but a few of the countless monsters that endlessly fascinate. What about them draws us in? What brings us back to them over and over?
More importantly, what is capable of taming these unconquerable creatures? Who or what could ever bring to heel these peerless beasts? A human? An equal? An enemy? The answers are endless, and yours to provide.
- Deadline is JUNE 30, 2012 11:59 EST (GMT -5) (give or take, we won’t kill you for sending it off the following morning).
- Stories should be approximately 15,000-30,000 words in length (a little longer or shorter is fine).
- Stories must be m/m or f/f r0mance (threes0mes, etc. are acceptable, but all parties must be the same gender).
- Stories must have a happily ever after (HEA) or happy for now (HFN) end.
All usual LT3 submission guidelines apply.
This collection is centered around the theme of monsters and mythical creatures. All stories must have a strong tie to this theme. We are looking for creative stories featuring a wide range of creatures, not simply a whole bunch of stories about dragons (not to say dragons are bad; we like dragons). Any sub-genre is gladly accepted: sci-fi, mystery, contemporary, steampunk, etc.
The Bestiary is a collection of ebooks, meaning each story will be sold as an individual ebook and readers will also have the option to purchase “bundles” or the entire collection for a reduced rate. Standard ebook royalty rates will apply.
Stories should be complete before submitting, and as edited as possible. They can be submitted in any format (doc, docx, rtf, odt, etc), preferably single spaced with a space between paragraphs, in an easy to read font (Times, Calibri, Arial) with no special formatting (no elaborate section separation, special fonts, etc). Additional formatting guidelines can be found here.
Stories will also be collected into a print book (or books, depending on total length), and each contributing author will receive two copies of the book containing their story.
SUBMITTING TO LESS THAN THREE PRESS
To submit a story to Less Than Three Press, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or use the Online Submission Form. Include the following in your email:
- Put SUBMISSIONS in the subject line! Emails without this subject line or sent to another email address (for example, the administrator email address) run the risk of not being seen or read, so please, do not forget this!
- Your contact name and preferred email address.
- The approximate total length of the completed story.
- Whether or not your story is complete.
- A brief summary of the story, not to exceed approximately 200 words in length.
- Attach the complete manuscript in .doc, .docx, or .odt format.
Please note the following:
- Please do not send queries, outlines, or proposals for stories that you have not yet written.
- Less Than Three Press will not consider manuscripts currently under submission to another publisher or anonymous writings.
- Please allow 2-3 weeks to hear back regarding general submissions and 3-5 weeks for anthology submissions.
If you have any questions or concerns, please send them to email@example.com.
Links: standard submissions guidelines, formatting guidelines
For queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
For submissions: email@example.com